Thursday, November 10, 2011

David Made It Safely

I just talked to my brother David with the use of Skype on the internet.  He and Meche are enjoying his first full day there in Tuxtla-Gutierrez in the state of Chiapas, Mexico.  It was good to see them and to know he made it safe and sound "back home."

Two nights ago (Tuesday evening), we went to the Islamorada Restaurant, which is inside the Bass Pro Shop in nearby Rancho Cucamonga.  The restaurant is large with many tables and open seating, but is also has a small private room with one big round table for dining.  The walls of this little room are all filled with poster-size photos and images of Zane Grey, the renowned author of western novels from years ago, in various locales (such as riding, fishing, hunting, etc.).  When we told the hostess that we had a group of nine (seven adults and two children), they gave us that "Zane Grey" room to use for our dinner.  It was cozy and quiet, giving us an atmosphere of privacy and VIP status (even though it was just a side room).  The fish and chips were wonderful and inexpensive!  It was a perfect way for us to have a last dinner with him -- me, Sondra, Evan and his girlfriend Callie, Shawn and Crystal and the girls (Bailey and Brynnlee).

Yesterday morning (Wednesday), we got up and were ready for an early start.  We (David, Sondra and I) left the house close to 7 am and headed towards LAX.  Traffic was indeed heavy during this rush hour, but we were in the diamond lane for commuters and made fairly good time.  We found the Denny's close to the airport and had breakfast.  David was happy they had grits on the menu!  After eating, we drove to the drop-off area for Continental Airlines.  With cars waiting and traffic moving close by, we hugged David and said a quick "good bye" and drove away.  It was a happy time that David was finally getting to go home to Chiapas, but it was a sad time for us as we remembered the fun times and special moments with him as he lived with us for the past year and a half.

This morning, Noel called around 6:30 am and said David had his computer hooked up and ready to talk on Skype.  I went to the computer and we had a great time talking with him and Meche.  He had flown from LAX to Houston, and after a short layover was on another plane bound directly for Tuxtla.  He said he did not have any trouble sleeping last night after a very long day in airports and on planes!  Very exciting and new vistas ahead for David and Meche!

No comments:

Post a Comment