Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

Today (the day before our Thanksgiving holiday), I just wanted to take time to reflect and enjoy some thoughts on Thanksgiving.  Here are a few random things to ponder:

==========================================================================

                                Psalm 92: "It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord."

==========================================================================


Our first President, George Washington, made a proclamation for a national observance of a day of thanks. In part, he said:

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the Providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor.....," to call the people of this country to set aside ".....a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God.....that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, and that will be."

=========================================================================

QUICK QUIZ.

1. Thanksgiving Day is always the _______________ Thursday of November each year.
2. The Pilgrims landed in North America in December of what year? _______________
3. The ship on which the Pilgrims sailed to America was known by what name? _______________
4. The Pilgrims celebrated the first Thanksgiving in the fall of what year? _______________
5. The first Thanksgiving was held in a place that was named _______________ in the state now known as Massachusetts.
6. What Native American Indians taught the Pilgrims how to cultivate the land? _______________
7. The name of the first Pilgrim leader was ______________________________.
8. How many days did the Pilgrims and Indians take to have a time of thanksgiving and communal feast? __________
9. What was the name of the Indian chief at the first Thanksgiving? _______________
10. The first national Thanksgiving Day Proclamation was made by President George Washington in the year __________.

ANSWERS.
1. fourth Thursday
2. 1620
3. Mayflower
4. 1621
5. Plymouth
6. Wampanoag
7. Gov. Willliam Bradford
8. 3 days
9. Massasoit
10. 1789

========================================================================

HUMOR.

Someone made an informal but exhaustive study with children about Thanksgiving.
The results: "If Twinkies had drumsticks, turkeys would be a thing of the past on Thanksgiving Day."

Q. Can a turkey jump higher than the Empire State Building?
A. Yes, you knucklehead.....buildings can't jump!

Grandma said to grandson Joey: "What would you like for dessert on this Thanksgiving Day?"
Joey replied enthusiastically: "Pumpkin pie!"
Grandma, admonishing him, said: "Pumpkin pie...what? Say the magic word."
Joey: "Sorry, Grandma. Pumpkin pie Abracadabra!"

=========================================================================

MY TOP TEN LIST FOR THANKSGIVING.
1.  I am thankful that I am not an atheist, one who has no hope for eternity.  I have a God who is real, and my eternal hope is secure in Jesus.
2.  I am thankful that I am not full of guilt and shame because of any past actions or thoughts, as they have been forgiven and erased.
3.  I am thankful that I am not a person who has no purpose in life, because my Father in heaven has given me a reason to live each day.
4.  I am thankful that I am not without a family who loves me, as I have an extended family that cares for me.
5.  I am thankful that I do not live with marital strife and dysfunction in the home, as I have a wife who loves me and supports me.
6.  I am thankful that I am not friendless, as I have seen so many who have built emotional walls around them to keep others out.
7.  I am thankful that I am not homeless, because I have ministered to so many who have nowhere to call home and are without shelter.
8.  I am thankful that I do not have to stress about finances, even when I have no money or prospects of help in sight, as God provides daily.
9.  I am thankful that I do not have to worry about my health or my future, because all is well when God is in control.
10.  I am thankful that I am not a turkey.


And I do not want any cute replies about that last entry (about not being a turkey)..........ha ha.

Happy Thanksgiving to you. Be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment