Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans Day and New Billy Graham Book

Today is Veterans Day.  I vividly recall the notice that I received in early 1971.  It was my draft notice.  The late '60s and early '70s were turbulent years in our society (Vietnam, the anti-war movement and the hippie generation).  I remember getting on the bus in Bakersfield as a 21-year old college dropout for a short ride to the Armed Forces Induction Center in Fresno, California.  On March 18, 1971, I took the oath to join the US Army and was then shipped off to Ft. Ord for training. I took my basic training and then AIT (Advanced Infantry Training) both at Ft. Ord, and was then sent off to Ft. Benning, Georgia, for Airborne and NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer) training schools.  It was in December 1971 that Sondra and I were married!  I got orders for Germany and Sondra joined me there for a year in Bad Kreuznach, Germany, at the Army's HQ 8th Infantry Division.  I got my honorable discharge on March 17, 1973, and we traveled all around Europe in an old VW bus (that I painted red, white and blue) before coming back home.

 I am very proud to have served my country in that era.  And I applaud all veterans today for their sacrifices and willingness to give of themselves in military service!

I also applaud all the restaurants who will give me a free meal today.....ha ha.

I just finished reading the new Billy Graham book, Nearing Home.  It was a joy to read at this juncture in my life.  Billy Graham is now 93 years old, and he wrote this book in the past year at 92 years of age!  It is full of wisdom and serious subjects, as well as humor and personal recollections.


I encourage everyone to read this book and to pass it on to others.  It is not a literary classic, nor is it a blockbuster book with grand ideas and powerful statements that are new and unique.  It simply shows a viewpoint that expresses wisdom, grace, joy, thankfulness, humor and poignant personal stories that will bless anyone who reads it.  The myriad of topics covered include purpose and legacy and expectations when one is growing old and facing death.  Dr. Graham goes into depth about what it means to grow old -- emotionally, physically, spiritually, financially.  He talks about grief and loss, retirement, legal issues, influence and lifestyle and responsibilities, family issues, society's view of aging, and heaven.  He gives insight into his experiences with pain and illness and disease and loss.  Most important, he talks about the Bible's view on aging and death.  As we gow old, the question comes:  "How do we see God in all of this?"

This book is for all senior adults, as they will enjoy the perspective of one of their peers who can relate to all the issues of growing old.  This book is for all middle-age adults, ones who are beginning to put their future into perspective and dealing with the issues of aging parents and family members.  This book is for young adults as well, helping them to understand what their parents and grandparents are experiencing in life's golden years.  The book can be purchased for as low as $10.91 on Amazon or Barnes & Nobles (and I do not get a commission for telling you this!).  Please read it and be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment