Monday, August 13, 2012

Hot Weather

It has been extremely hot these past weeks.  Many days in triple digits.  So, we stayed inside with the A/C cranked up to keep cool.

Last Monday, Sondra was set up to attend a class at the local Kaiser hospital for pre-diabetes information.  Her blood sugar level is not high, but since she is a candidate for diabetes with other health factors she went to the class.  It was early in the morning, and spouses were encouraged to go as well.  I went, but left after the first hour.  It was a two-hour session and I got a little bored.....ha ha.

Tuesday, I spent all morning and some of the afternoon with a church member, Steve Stillion.  He is a Vietnam veteran with many Agent Orange health problems.  He does not drive, so he asked me to take him to get several errands done concerning Health Care directives and "Power of Attorney" paperwork.  He lives alone, so we had a good time of fellowship the whole day.  He is a character that loves to tease and make jokes.  He loves to eat, so we went to Richie's Diner for breakfast and then a local Mexican restaurant for a late lunch.  It was a fun day with Steve.

That night, Sondra and I wanted to get out of the house, so we went and saw the new Batman movie, "Dark Knight."  It was entertaining and good to be out with Sondra for the evening.

On Wednesday, I had an appointment with the Audiology department out at the VA Hospital in Loma Linda.  I am being considered for some disability in connection with my military time back in the 1970s.  I was given a hearing test to see what my level is for hearing loss.

Thursday and Friday, we spent the evenings with grandkids.

On Thursday, Brynnlee spent the evening with us as Shawn and Crystal took Bailey with them to a home Bible study fellowship, in connection with their church friends.  Brynnlee is a fast crawler and loves to pull up and stand/walk while holding on to something solid.  She loves her Grandma G (Sondra), so I am relegated to second status with her.

We took care of both Bailey and Brynnlee on Friday night, actually keeping them overnight.  Shawn and Crystal got free tickets to a Toby Keith concert up at the Glen Helen Pavilion nearby.  They are a lot of fun but also lot of work to keep entertained.  Bailey loves her Papa G (that's me) and we had a great time just using scissors and paper.  Bailey doesn't cut out anything in particular, as she is willing just to have a blank piece of paper and cut it into tiny pieces.  She can entertain herself for more than an hour, just cutting and cutting and cutting.  It's fun watching her.

Sondra never gets much sleep through the night with the two girls, but that's part of the experience of taking care of them.  On Saturday morning, Shawn and Crystal came by to pick up the girls and we all went out to breakfast at Corky's.

After breakfast, I asked Sondra if she was game to head out to the beach for the day to escape the heat.  She agreed.  We called her brother Alden, who lives here in Rialto as well, and took him with us.  We drove over to Huntington Beach, as it is only about 80 miles away.  All four entrances to the parking lot were closed, as they were full when we arrived about 1:30 pm.

I then drove down Pacific Coast Highway (PCH), which is Highway 1 here in Southern California.  Every beach parking lot was full.  I drove all the way down (through Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, etc.) to San Clemente and San Juan Capistrano.  By now, it was almost 3 pm.

Frustrated but not discouraged, I went over to Interstate 5 and headed back north to Santa Monica.  Finally, going north on PCH to Pacific Palisades, there was a lot open at the Will Rogers State Beach.  We pulled in around 4:30 pm!  They charged $12 to enter, but I didn't care at this point.  I was going to sit on the beach and enjoy 'til the sun went down!

It was a great afternoon, what was left of it.  I even went down to the water's edge, walked into the waves and ducked my head under the water.  The ocean water was a little cold, but it felt good after a few seconds.  That was the first time I had actually dipped completely under the waves for many years!

We stayed until the sun was setting, probably around 7:30 pm.  We drove back home and stopped at Marie Callendar's for a quick bite.

Yesterday (Sunday), was good.  Our Praise and Worship director, Dan, had called me to say he would not be at church.  He was going to be in Los Angeles for an audition for the TV show, The Voice.  We have several others in the church who sing and are able to lead music, so I called Jimmy Davis to help us out.  He is older and is somewhat of a "troubador" in his singing style and background.  Back in the 1970s, he was a "singing waiter" at a restaurant in Santa Monica.  He loved to surf and play his guitar and sing.

Our friends, Jim and Sandy Woolard, came to church from San Bernardino and we went out to lunch together at our nearby Sizzler's restaurant.  We had a wonderful time of sharing and fellowship and friendship.  Sondra and I watched some Olympic stuff on TV, and then decided to go for a drive.  We ended by stopping at the Dairy Queen for a "cool treat."  I got a vanilla cone dipped in chocolate, Sondra wanted a hot fudge sundae.  Then we watched to closing ceremonies of the Olympics.  Relaxing way to end the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment