Monday, July 11, 2011

Gall Stones

Last Thursday morning, I woke up with severe pain in my abdomen.  It caused extreme discomfort, and I could not get any relief by laying down or sitting still or standing briefly.  Nothing helped.

So, Sondra took me over to the VA hospital in nearby Loma Linda, where I spent the better part of five hours.  With my heart issues in the past, they were concerned that this might be a heart-related problem.  As I explained my symptoms, they began to do some other procedures.

I went up to X-ray and had about 8 x-rays done on my chest and abdomen areas.  Then, I was sent to the Lab for blood tests to be done.  I think they took 6 vials to complete the various testing.

Then, they called me early Friday morning to let me know they had scheduled an emergency CAT scan that afternoon at 2 pm.  So my day was taken up with preparation and then waiting at the hospital for the scan.  They took the scan but did not have any immediate results.  From the previous day's tests, they said they were considering the possiblity that I had a small kidney stone.  The nurse said they would call me immediately when the results were back on Monday.

So, this morning about 8:30 am, I received a call from the nurse who works closely with my primary physician.  She said the results show that I have multiple gall stones (but she wasn't sure how many at this time).  They wanted to know my pain level right now, and I told them the pain had subsided last Thursday evening and I had not had any pain since.

I was told if I have another "gall stone flare-up," I would need to come in for gall bladder surgery.  I told her I was feeling fine.....ha ha.  Seriously, the pain has not come back.  The nurse told me I am to be on a low-fat diet.  I am not to eat fried foods, spicy foods, fast foods, greasy foods, cheesy foods, donuts or other baked goods.  I looked at Sondra and teased, "What is there left to eat?"  I had a small bowl of oatmeal and one piece of toast for breakfast.  Life is tough.....ha.

So, that was my news this morning.  Life has many changes along the way, that's for sure.

Last Saturday, Shawn and Crystal and Bailey were over for a barbecue dinner.  It was good to share with them about our vacation trip to Oklahoma and Missouri.  We were really going into "withdrawal" by not seeing little Bailey for about three weeks.  She is so precious and fun.


I had a good day at church yesterday.  We had a good service and we baptized four, a young girl and three adults.  What a blessed day.  At the end of the service, a man who was baptized came up to me and indicated that he wanted to buy my book (Don't Say You Can't) to help him read through the Bible.  He remembered that I mentioned that church members and those attending the worship service could have the book for a discounted price of $10 apiece.  He said, "I want to buy two for me and eight for anyone else who wants one but cannot afford it."  He pulled out his wallet and handed me a $100 to cover the cost.  I thought, "Wow, it is amazing how God touches hearts and lives!  What a blessing!"

Then, a lady who was visiting our church for the first time (to see one of the individuals follow through in believer's baptism) came up to me after everyone else had left.  She said, "Is your church doing renovation in the bathrooms here?"  We have tried to expand and renovate our restooms for a couple of years, so it shows the beginning stages of construction inside.  I told her, "Yes, but we just have not had the funds."  She replied, "Do you have a plumber in your church?"  "Nope."  She then offered, "Well, I have a son who is a plumber.  Let me talk to him to see if he has some time to help.  I want you to get me a list of all the things you need to complete that."  I don't know what will come of this, but it was a blessing just to hear a first-time guest feel the desire to help us!

Yesterday evening, Sondra and I were taken to dinner by a couple in the church.  We love to spend time with them in fellowship and friendship.  There are some things that are happening in their lives that they wanted to share with us.  It was a great evening and we felt great joy about the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment