Friday, August 26, 2011

Hot Is Not Fun

Recently, I returned from Oklahoma where they continue to have hot, scorching days.  It was over 100 degrees the whole time we were there.

Well, we are having those same kind of hot days here.  This week has been in triple digits.  Today, it was 108 degrees and at 5:30 pm the power in Rialto, Fontana and part of Riverside went out.  No air condioning, naturally.  So, after about an hour I told Sondra, "Let's get in the car and drive around for a bit with the air conditioning on!"  We did.  About 30 minutes later, we saw the power and lights were back on in town and went home.  Having a power outage is not fun.

This week has been full of looking after people and getting errands done.

On Monday we visited our nephew and his wife (Kirk and Tamra Overstreet) at the Redlands hospital, as their newborn (Ezekiel) is having some lung problems immediately after birth.  The baby has been moved to the NICU (Neo-natal Intensive Care Unit) at the nearby Loma Linda Children's Hospital, which is one of the finest in the nation.  Ezekiel is making slow progress and we are so thankful.

Also, on the same day we went to see Mr. Freeman, our landlord and very close friend for almost 40 years.  He was in the VA hospital with some pain and breathing issues.  He is 82 years old and is not in good health.

I had an appointment at the VA hospital with my primary doctor, for a follow-up to my visit to ER and admission to the hospital last week.  He was pleased with everything right now.

My brother, David, and I have been very faithful lately in going to the park nearby and walking nearly 2 miles each morning.  I am finding that my lung capacity is improving and my endurance for each lap is getting easier.  I have lost about 8 pounds since my trip to the hospital last week.  Sondra is trying to keep me on track to limit my sodium and any foods that are not as healthy as others.  Anyway, I am glad to be working out and feeling better.

Last Wednesday, the air conditioner at the church went out.  So, we are hoping to find the funding from friends and members to pay for the repair or to replace the A/C unit.

Sondra and I are continuing to prepare for our mission trip to the U.K. next week.  It will be an exciting time to share the gospel and meet other believers there.

No comments:

Post a Comment